Small Village
General store/Cafe
Public Moorings
Pub Moorings (Fee)
Electric Hook-up (village green)
Waste Bins (by Pub)
Phone & Post box

The Ferry
St Andrews Church dates from the 13th Century, The tower is from the Early English period (1200-75), and the first Rector to be recorded was Thomas de Ormesby in 1283. The Rood Screen has been removed, and the decorated iron ring on the main door is very old, probably fourteenth century. The first Register dates back to 1566 in the reign of Queen Elizabeth 1st and is beautifully inscribed on parchment.

Stokesby is home to Norfolk's Candle Wonderland where candle dipping takes place in the workshop from Easter to Summer. Adults and children over the age of 5 years (height restriction applies for safety reasons) can participate in colouring their own candle - it dries immediately so you can take it home with you. Candle dipping closes at 4pm.

There is a general store at the far side of the green and another shop and tea rooms on the green open in season only. On the river side is the Ferry Inn where good food can be obtained and there are free moorings for patrons but it is advisable to book. They have a riverside garden where you can enjoy a good pint while watching the boats go by on the river. The bank along from the Ferry is owned by the local farm and there is a fee to moor here overnight.
The village staithe offers free 24hr moorings but is small with only space for 3 - 4 boats. An electric hook-up point is located here.

The Ferry Inn 01493 751096

Bungalow Stores 01493 750215
Riverside Tea Room and Stores 01493 750470
Click on image for full size picture
A Village Supplied By River
Stokesby is typical of many a Broadland village that has its public staithe either by the riverside itself, or at the end of a 'cut' or dike connecting it to the river.
The old barn situated behind the Ferry Inn reminds us that in these regions farm produce and stock and manure were often moved by river. And most of the supplies for a remote village such as Stokesby would have come the same way. The old brick building you can see at the very edge of the water beside the staithe, was used for the storage of goods, such as coal, in transit. it has stood there for at least 130 years.

Short cut to Market
The name of the Ferry Inn is all that remain to tell us that it was once possible to cross the river (together with goods or cattle) at this point. A track along the opposite bank of the river led two miles to the market town of Acle. The only alternative routes were eight miles by road, through Filby, or along a private track for which a neighboring landowner made a charge.
In about 1910 the local Squire, who was irritated by this, persuaded the authorities to build a new road, which now links Stokesby to the main Acle Caister road at Wey Bridge. And so the ferry within living memory, ceased to operate.

Our photograph shows that the ferry was a square-ended, flat-bottomed boat with rails, and was winched across the river.
Note also the curved 'dutch gable' at the rear of the inn (this has now gone); the 'Sunday best' hats and jackets of the men on the ferry; the lantern, probably an oil lamp, over the door of the inn; and the group of small boys hanging about watching the proceedings.
Stokesby on the river Bure is the last but one mooring place before Great Yarmouth. A lovely small Village with a large green and well kept childrens playground.

Part of the Flegg Hundred, Stokesby and its neighbour Herringby are listed in the Domesday Book with a population of around 500, making them the largest village in Flegg. The present population is significantly less.
The word 'Stok' is a name for outlying pasture near water with good grazing.
The heart of the original village was Sandbury Green where tradesmen including the carpenter, wheelwright and blacksmith all made a good living. The Ferry Inn with the lucrative ferry business and Staithe could afford their own large barn and there was money enough in the village to sustain a pork butchers and general shop. There was also a dressmaker, shoemakers, bricklayers and a brazier.


 Described as a helpful spirit, Willum is said to help others and talk quite happily to strangers - no one realising that the figure is a ghost until it disappears. More..