The Bridge Inn has stood by the waters of the River Bure for many hundreds of years, serving sailors, smugglers and travellers and the villagers of Acle. The building that we see today is largely eighteenth century and originally a farmhouse. The original pub was from 1460 a guesthouse for the priory known as The Angel and became The Angel & Bridge House in the 1880's. In 1912 it was known as The Bridge Hotel becoming the Bridge Inn in the 1960's
Because of its site on the river, Acle is an ancient crossroads. A bridge has existed here since 1101. There was an Iron Age fort in the village, later to become a Roman camp.
Acle village stands on the west edge of the marshes, eight miles inland from Great Yarmouth; this area in the Roman period was a great estuary called Garienis and Acle had once been a port. This estuary slowly silted up and by 495 AD a sand bank appeared where we now find Great Yarmouth.
In the Doomsday Book, Acle is reported as having 23 villagers, 38 small holders and three slaves. A causeway over the marshes to Billockby is recorded to have a bridge over the River Bure in 1101.
Children are well catered for with superb outside facilities especially designed for them.
Crazy Golf & outside play area
Electric motor bikes
Outside pool table
Complimenary Wi Fi is available throughout the establishment.
12 Moorings are available at an overnight price of £4 per night. They are free in the day.
2008/2009/2010/2011/2013 Most child friendly pub
2009/2010/2011 Best Pub Grub
2009 Best Broadland Pint
2009/2010/2011 Best kept riverside property
2010 Best moorings
2009 Most improved business
2009 Best Pub Moorings
2009/2010 Most smoker Friendly
2009/2010 Most Dog friendly
2010 Best Broadland Pint
The Bridge Inn
Pub mooring (prices vary)
Electric (pay for in pub)
Big screen TV
Childrens play area
Payphone (in Pub)
Public phone box across road
01493 750 288
MORGANS from 21.11.1921
Sales 1960 : Beer 183 barrels
STEWARD & PATTESON 1961
MAYPOLE GROUP From c2007
Dates from 1460 - 1480 ANGEL when used as guest house for Priory.
ANGEL & BRIDGE HOUSE 1888 & 1904
BRIDGE or BRIDGE HOUSE 1903 & later
BRIDGE HOTEL 1912
BENJAMIN PORTER & lime burner 1836 - 1846
GEORGE BOND age 30 in 1851 1850 - 1851
JOSEPH MALLETT 1854
GEORGE BOND 1856
JOSHUA MALLETT & coal merchant 1858 to 1879
EDWARD ROSE 24.11.1879
THOMAS ALFRED SPURGEON GEORGE 06.11.1911
AGNES ANN GEORGE 11.01.1932
ALFRED PERRY 22.06.1936
WILLIAM FREDERICK HAYLES 07.01.1946
EDWARD MATTHEW NUGENT 25.05.1959
WILLIAM JOHN SPEED ( Bill & Pat ) 06.05.1968 to 1974 +