(opposite Ferry in Horning)
or Salhouse Broad (pay for)
From the ferry walk up the lane & turn right
From Salhouse Broad walk up the path & Turn left both good 10 min walks to woodbastwick
Home to the award winning Woodfordes brewery
Fur & Feather
Woodbastwick has a delightful Village Green complete with its own well and a local forge nearby. It is well worth spending a few minutes to soak up the calm and peaceful atmosphere. The village has twice won the Best Kept Village award.
Due to the decrease in population over the decades, probably due to the changes in the farming industry, the village school was closed during the 1970s and the local Post Office closed in the early 1980s. However, Woodforde's Brewery has thrived and is Woodbastwick's most famous landmark.
The Cator family has lived in the village since the early 1800's. During the Second World War, Mrs John Cator allowed the Old Hall to be used as a Red Cross auxiliary hospital for patients from the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital.
In 1940 a German plane machine-gunned the laundry and all the patients had to be evacuated. It is said that one man, who would not stand or sit up without assistance, nimbly leapt from his bed onto a nearby stretcher in seconds to escape!
After the war for a while, parts of the Old Hall became an Agricultural Training College. Later it was rebuilt after a fire, before finally being demolished in 1970.
The mediaeval flint church of Woodbastwick shows fine examples of Norfolk thatching. The two saints to whom the church is named after are St Fabian; a pope, and St Sebastian; a soldier. The interior of the church is Victorian and was restored in the 19th century.
Woodbastwick is the home of the British White cow. A herd was established in the parish in 1840 and has been bred there ever since.
Woodbastwick has large areas of marsh land which forms part of the 1019 acres of the Bure Marshes National Nature Reserve, home to many varieties of birds and plant life.
The village sign is erected on a small green opposite the church gate and depicts two sturdy wood-cutters at work outside a thatched house under a lime tree (Woodbastwick's name derives from the Old English meaning a farm or village in a lime grove). The sign was made and presented by Mr Harry Carter to the village in 1967 and erected in the memory of Mrs I Habgood, Founder President of the Woodbastwick Women's Institute.